Who should do this Course?
This course is recommended for people who are responsible for supporting and developing sport and sporting clubs within their municipality.
• You may be assisting new clubs to form
• You may be assisting clubs to adapt or change the way they operate
• You may be assisting clubs to resume training and play post Covid19
• You may be assisting clubs to be more sustainable, inclusive and responsive to community needs.
• You may be identifying and responding to community needs and/or new sports development
Week 1 – What is Sports Development in a Local Government setting and why is Local Government responsible?
• Local Government and its responsibilities
• Local Government structure
• Who makes decisions and how they are made?
• Council priorities and how they are reflected in strategy and policy
• Land management responsibilities
• Sport, Recreation and Leisure portfolio
• Local Government roles and responsibilities in physical activity
Week 2 – What is Sports Development and who do we partner with?
• Introduction to Sports Club Development
• The power of partnerships
• The partnership continuum
• Internal and external partners and
• The role of sports and community clubs.
Week 3 – Why and how do we do it? (Part 1)
• What is sports development? – community development using sport as a vehicle
• Why do sports development?
• How to do sports development? – using community development framework
• Case studies and discussion
Week 4 – How do we do it? (Part 2)
• Club development activities/programs/initiatives – case studies
• Doing Sport differently
• Evaluation and demonstrating outcomes
• How to influence
Kerry Wilson – A dynamic public sector leader and health promotion professional Kerry has spent 25 years creating healthy, active, equitable and inclusive environments. Sport is a life- long love that deserves to be nurtured to provide equal access and opportunities for all.
Melanie Pratt – Melanie has spent the last 15 years in the sports and club development space and was one of the first council officers employed in sports development (non facility role) within local government. Melanie is recognised by industry peers as a Local Government Sports and Club Development “guru” and shares her knowledge of the space through mentoring, networking, presentations and education.
Kiera Staley – an evaluation and project management specialist at the Centre for Sport and Social Impact. Passionate about community sport, public health and doing sport differently, with over 15 years working in and with the industry.
Mandy Nolton – Managing Director of Rec People, Mandy has the ability to provide a platform for engaging and developing the local government sector to partner with the wider sports community to deliver inclusive, equitable opportunities to participate in sport.
1.5 hour Zoom meeting per week x 4 consecutive weeks
1.0 hour of homework per week in between face to face meetings
$495 (plus GST) per person
$395 (plus GST) Parks and Leisure Australia (Vic/Tas only) member (to join click here)
$395 (plus GST) for a second, third or fourth attendee from the same organisation
Date and Time
Wednesday 25th August 2021 9.30am to 11.00am
Wednesday 1st September 2021 9.30am to 11.00am
Wednesday 8th September 2021 9.30am to 11.00am
Wednesday 15th September 2021 9.30am to 11.00am