Who should do this Course?
This course is recommended for people who are responsible for strategic physical activity, sport, recreation and leisure planning within their municipality.
• Your municipal wide physical activity, sport, recreation and leisure strategies may need updating or you may not have the ones you need.
• You may be responsible for reviewing or developing policies.
• Participation and utilisation data may not be useful and you need data for better decision making.
• Your master plans may be old or the use of the land has changed.
• You may be responsible for preparing budget bids and seeking of external funding.
Week 1 – What is Recreation Planning in a Local Government setting and why is Local Government responsible?
• Local Government and its responsibilities
• Land Management responsibilities
• Local Government structure
• Council priorities and how they are reflected in strategy and policy
• Who makes decisions and how they are made?
• Sport, Recreation and Leisure portfolio
Week 2 – Recreation Planning fundamentals with Neal Ames
• What is recreation planning?
Week 3 – How do we do it? (Part 1)
• What are we planning for? – Physical Activity and Health Promotion
• Power of partnerships and the Partnership Continuum
• Planning your planning approach
• Planning to plan and the delivery
Week 4 – How do we do it? (Part 2)
• What does a good plan look like and how to do it?
• The Plan
• Setting the scene
• Understanding stakeholders
• Finding data
• Provision standards
• Setting directions
• Implementation – converting your plan into action
• Monitoring, evaluation and demonstrating outcomes
• How to get recreation planning on the agenda
Kerry Wilson – Has led large scale, longer term, multi-dimensional policy and planning across portfolios such as sport and recreation, gender equity and prevention of violence against women, environmental sustainability, engagement, health and wellbeing and active transport.
Daniel Ferguson – More than a decade working in private consulting, two Victorian Councils, Victorian State Government and the YMCA – from minor capital works projects to writing $225million contracts with the AFL, he’s seen the highs and lows of recreation planning!
Neal Ames – Neal has more than 20 years experience in the recreation and parks industry, working as a government advisor, recreation, open space, play and parks planner, as well as being a sport and recreation project manager.
Mandy Nolton – Managing Director of Rec People, Mandy has the ability to provide a platform for engaging and developing the local government sector to plan and deliver active and passive recreational facilities, assets and opportunities to meet the needs of unique local communities.
1.5 hour Zoom meeting per week x 4 consecutive weeks
1.0 hour of homework per week in between face to face meetings
$495 (plus GST) per person
$395 (plus GST) Parks and Leisure Australia (Vic/Tas only) member (to join click here)
$395 (plus GST) for a second, third or fourth attendee from the same organisation
Date and Time
Classes are from 9.30am to 11am on:
Wed 14th July 2021
Wed 21st July 2021
Wed 28th July 2021
Wed 4th Aug 2021