Sports Club Development
Who should do this Course?
This course is recommended for people who are responsible for supporting and developing sporting clubs within their municipality.
• You may be assisting new clubs to form
• You may be assisting clubs to adapt or change the way they operate
• You may be assisting clubs to resume training and play post Covid19
• You may be assisting clubs to be more sustainable, inclusive and responsive to community needs.
Week 1 – What is Sports Club Development in a Local Government setting and why is Local Government responsible?
• Local Government and its responsibilities
• Local Government structure
• Who makes decision and how they are made?
• Council priorities and how they are reflected in strategy and policy
• Land management responsibilities
• Sport, Recreation and Leisure portfolio
• Local Government roles and responsibilities in physical activity and
• Power of Partnerships
Week 2 – What is Sports Club Development and who do we partner with?
• Introduction to Sports Club Development
• The partnership continuum
• Internal and external partners and
• The role of sports and community clubs.
Week 3 – How do we do it? (Part 1)
• What is club development? – community development using sport as a vehicle
• How to do club development? – using community development framework and how to influence
Week 4 – How do we do it? (Part 2)
• Club development activities/programs/initiatives – case studies
• Evaluation and demonstrating outcomes
Kerry Wilson – A dynamic public sector leader and health promotion professional Kerry has spent 25 years creating healthy, active, equitable and inclusive environments. Sport is a life- long love that deserves to be nurtured to provide equal access and opportunities for all.
Melanie Pratt – Melanie has spent the last 15 years in the sports and club development space and was one of the first council officers employed in sports development (non facility role) within local government. Melanie is recognised by industry peers as a Local Government Sports and Club Development “guru” and shares her knowledge of the space through mentoring, networking, presentations and education.
Kiera Staley – an evaluation and project management specialist at the Centre for Sport and Social Impact. Passionate about community sport, public health and doing sport differently, with over 15 years working in and with the industry.
Mandy Nolton – Managing Director of Rec People, Mandy has the ability to provide a platform for engaging and developing the local government sector to partner with the wider sports community to deliver inclusive, equitable opportunities to participate in sport.
1.5 hour Zoom meeting per week x 4 consecutive weeks
1.0 hour of homework per week in between face to face meetings
$495 (plus GST) per person
$395 (plus GST) Parks and Leisure Australia (Vic/Tas only) member (to join click here)
$395 (plus GST) for a second, third or fourth attendee from the same organisation
Date and Time
Friday 5th February 2021 10.30am to 12.00noon
Friday 12th February 2021 10.30am to 12.00noon
Friday 19th February 2021 10.30am to 12.00noon
Friday 26th February 2021 10.30am to 12.00noon