Physical Activity and Activation
Who should do this Course?
This course is recommended for people who are responsible for improving physical activity outcomes within the communities in which they work.
• You may need to design and deliver programs to meet physical activity targets.
• You may be responsible for activating the community in a post Covid19 world.
• You may be responsible for improving access to opportunities for marginalised communities or those facing barriers to participation.
• You may need to activate a new or existing sport, recreation or leisure facility in a growth area or location of change.
Week 1 – What is Physical Activity in a Local Government setting and why is Local Government responsible?
• Local Government and its responsibilities
• Local Government structure
• Who makes decisions and how they are made?
• Council priorities and how they are reflected in strategy and policy
• Land management responsibilities
• Sport, Recreation and Leisure portfolio
• Why PA? the business case
Week 2 – What is Health Promotion and Who Do We Partner With?
• Introduction to Health Promotion
• What is physical activity and activation?
• A settings-based approach
• Local Government roles and responsibilities in physical activity
• Power of partnerships and the Partnership Continuum
• Internal and external partners
• The role of sports and community clubs
Week 3 – How we do it? (Part 1)
• Discuss your LGA’s business case
• How to develop a PA program using a health promoting approach and using Active Maribyrnong as a case study
Week 4 – How we do it? (Part 2)
• Advocacy, Planning, Developing, Delivering, Promoting PA and Activation
• Key foundation initiatives for ensuring PA is embedded in your Council
• PA and your planning foundations
• PA & Activation activities/programs/initiatives – case studies
• Evaluation and demonstrating outcomes
• Influencing without authority
Kerry Wilson – A dynamic public sector leader and health promotion professional, Kerry has spent 25 years creating healthy, active, equitable and inclusive environments with a focus on getting more people more active more often.
Rick Morris – With a passion for supporting healthy and active lifestyles within diverse communities, Rick is an enthusiastic leader in the health promotion industry and has spent the last 7 years developing and delivering Active Maribyrnong, an industry leading and award winning physical activity program.
Amy Hagger – a health promotion professional who is passionate about social justice and the importance of the social determinants of health. Amy has worked the Victorian Public Service for the last 10 years in a range of health promotion, policy and staff health and wellbeing roles.
Mandy Nolton – Managing Director of Rec People, Mandy has the ability to provide a platform for engaging and developing the local government sector to co-design, deliver and evaluate health promotion initiatives and programs to get more people active, in a way that best suits them.
1.5 hour Zoom meeting per week x 4 consecutive weeks
1.0 hour of homework per week in between face to face meetings
$495 (plus GST) per person
$395 (plus GST) Parks and Leisure Australia (Vic/Tas only) member (to join click here)
$395 (plus GST) for a second, third or fourth attendee from the same organisation
$395 (plus GST) for registrants who have registered for one of our previous courses – use LOYAL100 as discount code
Date and Times AEDST
Wednesday 16th November 2022 11.30 am to 1.00 pm
Wednesday 23rd November 2022 11.30 am to 1.00 pm
Wednesday 30th November 2022 11.30 am to 1.00 pm
Wednesday 7th December 2022 11.30 am to 1.00 pm
Watch our cafe catch up with the course instructors Kerry Wilson, Rick Morris and Amy Hagger talking about the Physical Activity and Activation course.