Physical Activity and Activation
Who should do this Course?
This course is recommended for people who are responsible for improving physical activity outcomes within the communities in which they work.
• You may need to design and deliver a program to meet physical activity targets.
• You may be responsible for activating the community during and post Covid19.
• You may be responsible for improving access to opportunities for marginalised communities or those facing barriers to participation.
• You may need to activate a new or existing sport, recreation or leisure facility in a growth area or location of change.
Week 1 – What is Physical Activity in a Local Government setting and why is Local Government responsible?
• Local Government and its responsibilities
• Local Government structure
• Who makes decision and how they are made?
• Council priorities and how they are reflected in strategy and policy
• Land management responsibilities
• Sport, Recreation and Leisure portfolio
• Health Promotion and
• Power of Partnerships
Week 2 – What is Health Promotion and Who Do We Partner With?
• Introduction to Health Promotion
• What is physical activity and activation?
• Physical activity business case
• A settings-based approach
• Local Government roles and responsibilities in physical activity
• Internal and external partners
• The role of sports and community clubs
Week 3 – How we do it? (Part 1)
• How to use a health promoting approach for physical activity:
• Build business case
• Develop partnerships
• Develop a plan and policies
• Projects and program design and delivery
• Marketing, campaigns, and communications
• Evaluation and outcomes
Week 4 – How we do it? (Part 2)
• Case studies and practical examples:
• Active Maribyrnong as an example
• Lessons and challenges
• Budgets & grants
• Monitoring, evaluation and demonstrating outcomes
• Gold star physical activity initiatives
• Physical activity initiatives at other councils
• Industry resources
• How to get physical activity on the agenda
Kerry Wilson – A dynamic public sector leader and health promotion professional, Kerry has spent 25 years creating healthy, active, equitable and inclusive environments with a focus on getting more people more active more often.
Rick Morris – With a passion for supporting healthy and active lifestyles within diverse communities, Rick is an enthusiastic leader in the health promotion industry and has spent the last 7 years developing and delivering Active Maribyrnong, an industry leading and award winning physical activity program.
Amy Hagger – a health promotion professional who is passionate about social justice and the importance of the social determinants of health. Amy has worked the Victorian Public Service for the last 10 years in a range of health promotion, policy and staff health and wellbeing roles.
Mandy Nolton – Managing Director of Rec People, Mandy has the ability to provide a platform for engaging and developing the local government sector to co-design, deliver and evaluate health promotion initiatives and programs to get more people active, in a way that best suits them.
1.5 hour Zoom meeting per week x 4 consecutive weeks
1.0 hour of homework per week in between face to face meetings
$495 (plus GST) per person
$395 (plus GST) Parks and Leisure Australia (Vic/Tas only) member (to join click here)
$395 (plus GST) for a second, third or fourth attendee from the same organisation
Date and Time
Wednesday 14th October 10.30am to 12.00noon
Wednesday 21st October 10.30am to 12.00noon
Wednesday 28th October 10.30am to 12.00noon
Wednesday 4th November 10.30am to 12.00noon
Watch our cafe catch up with the course instructors Kerry Wilson, Rick Morris and Amy Hagger talking about the Physical Activity and Activation course.